Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Nina Paley's Desire


Came across this cartoon on Sepia Mutiny.


The artist's interpretation ...

The picture is of Desire. Specifically, amorous desire, mine. I was being tormented by desire to the point I couldn't sleep, and a friend suggested a draw a picture of it. She's holding a penis because that's what she wants, but she's also cut it off, because she (my Desire) is a vicious bitch. The head is mine, because, well you know what desire does to our heads. Her vagina is an eye because she sees everything through it, while her eyes are crazed spirals. The skulls represent all my failed relationships, or my ex-lovers - casualties of relationships Desire instigated herself. If I'd set out to draw Kali as Kali, she'd look different, but the picture is of Desire, who looks like that.

Liberties taken with religious idols aside, I think it's amusing how she sees herself.

No comments: