Saturday, June 21, 2008

Letting Go: Part II

I have in my hand a receipt from a Gift Store of 'Juliette Low Birthplace' from Feb 19, 2006. This is a receipt for a Coffee mug I bought during my visit to Savannah, GA, for the first time. Juliette Gordon Low is considered the Founder of Girl Scouts in USA and her place is considered the Mecca for Girl Scouts. For an average South Asian immigrant, this place should hold no significance. And yet I'm going through a shoe box throwing away stuff I should have a long time ago. I may be pathetic, but this is still something I have to face. No matter how long it takes, I have to let go of old junk to make room for new junk.

Guess what! I'm a sentimental fool. I'm destined to be burdened by the junk I hold on to.

I know I haven't let it all go yet. I'll probably never throw away the Coffee mug itself. Right now, I'm just ready to throw away the receipt for it. But this is one more step closer to becoming more independent of my own constructed sentimental demons. Hurrah!

No comments: