Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Micro Fiction: Cheater

"Hey, I just made it. My cab should be here any minute. You okay?"
"You got another call... I talked to him... He says he's sorry. He wanted me to tell you that. May be I should've seen it. I knew it was something. When I'd offer to meet you on the road before Sam was born, you always had some excuse. Fewer and fewer visits every year, always some reason. You distracted yourself with friends even when we had only a day or two together. You could never wait to leave. Anything not be here, not to be with me. It's amazing how we fill in the blanks, the way we want to see them. And I kept filling them in. I'm not pretty today. I'm not funny or smart or interesting enough. Next visit, I'll do better, I'll work harder, I'll figure it out. I felt so unattractive sometimes, so unwanted, you have no idea how hard it was always trying to find some reason, some way that I failed. Somewhere deep down, I knew something was wrong, I'm sure I did. Guess I must've been afraid to ask somehow. But I wonder if I had, if you would have told me the truth. Even in my arms, you were always out of reach. And may be you didn't love me the way I did you, but you didn't even care enough to be honest with me. You didn't choose someone else, Carl. You are someone else."

(Blatantly adapted from a TV show)

2 comments:

-w said...

what's goin on here?

Chaitan Bandela said...

Lookup Micro Fiction. On Fridays, the challenge is to write a micro fiction in exactly 55 words (Lookup "55 Friday"). May be I should put that in the title. hmmm...