Monday, October 23, 2006

Micro Fiction: Devotion Under Suspicion II

"Do you wanna talk about it?"
"Talk about what?"
"Them. It's been bugging you. I can tell that it is."
"Why would it be bothering me? I'm the one who told him to ask her out, remember?"
"Look, I know something happened between you guys when I was gone. So just tell me."
"How did you know? Did he ... ?"
"I figured it out. Why don't you just tell me what happened?"
"Cause it doesn't matter."
"Well, it matters to me."
"I missed you and no one really understood. Then he came along, and he just got it somehow. And so we spent a lot of time together because he was the only one that I could bear to talk to. But I mean ... I know this is gonna sound lame, it was always about you."
"In the beginning, you mean."
"One night we went on this field trip and we got stuck in the mine. And ... he kissed me. I don't know how I let it happen or why. I was crazy that day thinking about your surgery. And ... I don't know what I was doing."
"Did it happen again?"
"Once."
"Did you know what you were doing then?"
...
"What happened between him and I amounts to about 10 seconds. Before you judge me for it I want you to think about the hours of bus trips that I took to go see you, the thousands of pages of books that I read to you, the hours of music that I played for you because they said that you might be able to hear it. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't focus in school, I lost most of my friends. When you finally did wake up, you didn't even remember who I was and your own mother wouldn't let me go see you. What was I supposed to do because I don't know anymore."
"I don't know. I wish you had been this honest with me a month ago. See, when I got out of the hospital I didn't know who you were. But I do now. And I really like you. The only problem is you haven't been able to take your eyes off him all night."

(from a TV show)

No comments: