Monday, August 28, 2006

Sex Blog

'I don't write to titillate. I censor like crazy to make my blogs less erotic'

Some people have more success with their blogs than others. The sex diary of a London post-modern feminist blogger gets her a six figure book deal but loses her privacy.

So this sex liberal decides to write her sexual experiences explicitly and anonymously on her blog. Her intent was never to write erotica apparently, but I guess a need to pour out her psychoanalytic thought process about her sexual appetite, technique and men in general.

Despite the ultra-conservative background I come from, where nobody talks about sex, ever, (except in crude humor), I have been able to learn that the average woman I have known supposedly does not think about sex all that much. It's not as important to women. It is men that are dirty and last about 7 seconds. We've heard all this before. But now, in this 'Sex and the City' Samantha Jones generation, having a healthy (or obsessive) sexual appetite, satisfying it and telling the whole world (at least anonymously) is considered 'third wave feministic' (*)? Really?

*(I know the "women entering work force, women's education, abortion, sexual freedom is considered the first wave of feminism. No idea what the second wave of feminism was, just quoting from the Guardian article.)

Feminism on the front-page again. I guess the feminist movement in London has reached a new milestone when this sex blogger is not being vilified more than the attention she receives in media. She has an ardent reader base that does not only consist of perverted men. Plus a publishing company is willing to put money (six figures I repeat) on it.

Here in the U.S., I was a little surprised that the conservative Christian pro-lifers actually lost their campaign against making Plan-B over the counter. At least they were able to push it behind the counter, but I still consider it a loss. (This is after the same conservative base vehemently being able to ban gay marriage not so long ago.) I guess that is a success for feminists / pro-choicers in a big way.

At least in this aspect, I was further surprised to hear about India staying ahead of the game. Forget about India being uncomfortable with sex in the open, the Hindu radicals won't let Deepa Mehta shoot a movie, Water, that depicts them in a harsh light (she had to shoot it in Sri Lanka I think), but there is a Plan B already. I guess the Ministry of Health was able to sell the idea based on practicality or perhaps even this is serving the male-dominated society in some twisted way. Nevertheless, women have more choice in India already and that's something.

Feminism on the front-page again, and changing the world.

No comments: