Monday, December 06, 2004

(news) H-1B Visa program expanded

H-1B Visa program has been expanded to include another 20,000 visas (read here). I thought it was a good idea when I read the headlines, but obviously its being seriously discouraged and has strings attached. American Universities invest so much in foreign students for the latest advancements in technology, and now its a bad idea to use their skills in the market? I understand that the current economy cannot help but try and preserve as many jobs as possible to US citizens, but I also think that a good competition will let the US tech industry stay in the international lead. That's a postive for the economy itself again right? So what if the big companies are trying to cut costs by employing cheap labor? They are trying to stay afloat in this tough economy and keep it running. I'd say consider the visa program again and increase the cap further. Things will get better, I'm sure of it.

No comments: